Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Making it even easier to eat local......

I went to Kits Farmer’s Market this weekend. I always skip away feeling happy and with a bag full of goodies. It feels really good to buy fresh produce from local farmers and know exactly where your food is coming from.


But it’s not the most convenient shopping and most weekends I don't make it down to the 2 or so locations that are open from 9am-2pm on Saturday and Sunday. Unfortunately, it’s not often that I get a chance to make it down to the farmer’s market and I usually end up hitting the local produce store or supermarket for fruits and veggies. Even with all the buzz on the “100 mile diet” trend and the “Eat Local” movement - I usually don’t think about it… UNLESS I’ve been to the farmer’s market recently and then I start to long for easy access to fresh and crazy flavourful local products. “O- this is what a cucumber is really supposed to taste like!”


I was making my usual Superstore run (it’s the closest grocery store to my office) and I noticed that they are starting to sell local produce with a new program called “Grown Close to Home.” I grabbed some Sweet Peppers that were from Windset Farms in Delta to throw on the grill. http://www.windsetfarms.com/


I headed over to one of my favourite fellow foodies “The Leggy Redhead” tonight for a BBQ and I brought over the peppers and some other goodies from SS. We are both condiment junkies- so we were excited to try out some new PC offerings….We used a new “PC Sweet Heat Mustard” as dressing for a cucumber, heirloom tomato and onion salad. It made for a really light and tasty side- no other dressing needed other than some fresh ground pepper. Then we grilled up the Windset Farms peppers right on the grill and roasted up some mushrooms and onions with some “PC Balsamic Glaze.” A good night of eats all around and it’s nice to know that there is easy access to local produce at the nearest grocery store if I can’t make it to the farmer’s market.


Grillin' up a "local" feast!

1 comment:

Gillian said...

This is my kind of meal. And I'm a condiment whore. Do you ever shop at Winners? Their cooking section hides some amazing condiments and glazes for cheaps. Come to Toronto and we'll hit up St.Lawrence market!
-Gillian
(I don't know why this is linking to the Pet Family blog...)