Monday, February 4, 2013

Quick post- Breakfast Bites


In the last couple of weeks, I've stumbled across two little gems of breakfast joints. One in my neighbourhood and the other just a hop, skip, and a jump away from my office.

Outpost Cafe


I've definitely grabbed coffee from The Outpost Cafe numerous times but just had my first breakfast experience. Their Fried Egg Breakfast Biscuit ($5.95) was such a treat and a welcome change from my everyday bowl of cereal. The fried egg, thinly sliced tomato and onions, and spinach were all tasty but the beautiful freshly-baked breakfast biscuit was definitely the star of the show. They have a great slightly crusty exterior and a nice soft crumbly outside with a slightly herbacious flavour. Fantastic coffee and iced lemon water station with jam jar glasses.
**Sadly as I was writing this post, I checked their website and there was a note saying that after 2 years, they are closing their doors and the cafe will no longer be in operation. Too bad.

The Outpost Cafe on Urbanspoon

Yummy Sushi



I was looking for an easy place to grab a quick lunch with some friends who were in the vicinity of my office taking care of some business on Granville island. There are plenty of places in the area, but I'd heard of this $2.99 breakfast and threw it out there to see if they wanted to check it out. Turns out they were in a cheap and cheerful mood, so when I threw out some options- they picked the "cheap breakfast" option. 


And this place really should change their name to "Cheap and Cheerful" because that describes this experience to a T. In terms of ambience, you feel like you are eating in a friend's aunt's kitchen. There is a fridge in the dining area, tile floors, about 9 basic glass top tables. The place is run by a husband and wife team. He cooks, she serves and keeps the place tidy. She is an delight- so happy- so smily- so enthusiastic. Her good mood is infectious and giggle-worthy. Just try not to smile when you eat here. They offer $1 coffee and re-fills for coffee and water seem like they are topped up after every sip. She told me I was doing a good job of staying hydrated. The Breakfast special is $2.99 for 4 pieces of bacon or sausage (she was only too happy to offer me half and half), 2 pieces of toast (white or multi-grain), 2 eggs, and hashbrowns. My sunny side up eggs were wonderfully cooked with nice oozy yolks. My bacon was nice and crispy, just how I like it and the sausage was well cooked. The shredded hashbrowns were okay, definitely inconsistent with some crispy and awesome and some a bit cold and mushy. Plenty of ketchup and sriracha to kick up the flavour. Nothing fancy, the food isn't amazing, but it's cheap, quick, and we all left smiling from our Yummy Sushi experience. This is a cash only establishment.

Yummy Sushi on Urbanspoon


No comments: