In early April, the City of Vancouver announced licences for 19 new food carts. I'm looking forward to all the new sights, smells and tastes on Vancouver's streets this summer. I'm definitely the most pumped about these new truck/carts on the block:
Feastro the Rolling Bistro (they have a super successful truck on the Sunshine Coast) and I can't wait to try options like...
Smoked Salmon Taco – crispy chickpea battered fresh halibut, tomato/anise chutney with organic greens, tikka masala yogurt, hand cut salsa. $7
Crab and Shrimp Cake – cayenne, coriander, sweet bell peppers, on Henry Reed organic greens, with truck made smoked tomato cocktail sauce. $13
Tacofino Cantina Inc.
This big orange truck located behind "Live to Surf" is something I look forward to to visiting every trip I take to Tofino. Now, their tasty tuna tacos are no longer a ferry plus 2.5 hour drive away.
Gringas are a taco/grilled cheese sandwich hybrid and should not be missed. Also, wait for Vancouver-ites to start freaking over their Diablo Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich.
And for comfort food cravings (and a chance to chow down on my favourite childhood lunch) Mom's Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. This truck will be serving up basic (and fancy variations of) the grilled cheese sandwich with sides of tomato soup. This truck will be run by a vet of the film craft service industry who's worked on big projects like Kill Bill and Mission Impossible 3. I'm sure Uma was a grilled cheese fan.
******Here's a full list of the 19 new approved vendors, what they'll serve, and where they'll be located:
* Cartel Street Food (Korean fusion - beef, pork and tofu Korean tacos), West side of 500 Dunsmuir Street.
* Chawalla ( India - Indian teas, sweet and savory parantha (stuffed Indian flatbread), East side of 800 Howe Street.
* Didi's Greek (Greek - meat and vegetarian souvlaki, tzatsiki and pita spanakopita, Greek salad), south side of 1700 Robson Street.
* Feastro the Rolling Bistro (Mixed menu -- seafood taco, prawns, fish and chips, oysters, pork taco, seafood chowder, salad, prawn bisque, yam/sweet potato fries), Thurlow at W. Cordova Street.
* Finest at Sea (Seafood - fish sandwiches, fish tacos, coleslaw, vegetable kebab), Southeast corner of Robson Street and Hornby Street.
* Gourmet Syndicate (Asian fusion - pork sliders, soba noodle soup, banh mi, rice balls, duck salad, trimmed chicken karaage, whole fruits), East side of 900 Burrard Street.
* Kiss Kiss Banh Banh (Vietnamese - sub sandwiches, salads and coffee), Northwest corner of Howe and Robson streets.
* Mangali ( Mediterranean - shish kebab, lafah, couscous, chickpea, beet, carrot and radish salads), North side of 900 W. Georgia Street.
* Mom's Grilled Cheese Truck ( American - grilled sandwiches, soups and chili), 600 Hornby Street.
* Off the Wagon (Mexican - tacos), 600 Howe Street.
* Osa Tako Hero (Japanese - Takoyaki), South side of 800 W. Pender Street.
* Roaming Dragon 2 (Comfort foods - sandwiches, matzo balls, shepherd's pie, soups, chili, fruit), East side of 800 Burrard Street.
* Soho Road Naan Kebab (Indian fusion - chicken tandoori burgers, beef kebabs, masala fries and chai tea), West side of 900 Howe Street.
* Tacofino Cantina Inc. (Mexican - tacos burritos, quesadillas, tortilla soup, fruit and vegetable skewers and assorted juices), 1800 Morton Street.
* Cart name TBA ( Greek - meat and vegetarian souvlaki), North side of 800 Dunsmuir Street.
* The Hut (Vegetarian - wrap veggie burgers, quesadillas, sweet potato fries and wraps), South side of 1200 Pacific Blvd.
* The Juice Truck (Juice - fresh fruit and vegetable juice and smoothies), 200 Abbott Street.
* The Re-Up BBQ (BBQ - beef brisket sandwich, black bean and corn chili, southern sweet tea, seasonal fruit soda), South side of 800 Robson Street.
* Trailer name TBA (Asian bbq - meat, fruit, vegetables), West side of 100 Burrard Street.
Also, if you love food truck culture and the food network- check out a new food network show that I recently did some work on: EAT ST.