Monday, January 16, 2012

Dad and Daughter Burgers at Splitz Grill




My dad is a basic meat and potatoes, burger and a beer kinda guy. I like the same things but usually dressed up with herbs, sauces, spices, and condiments. My dad however likes thing very plain. This is how he orders a burger: "I will add bacon, cheese, pickles and other than that, I want it plain. And by plain, I mean no rabbit food, no sauces or relishes- just bun, meat and cheese, and bun."




Many people have told me about how amazing the burgers are at Splitz Grill. In fact, my food friend Hamburger Disco (a notorious hamburger fantatic) told me that his favourite burger joint in the Greater Vancouver area was Splitz Grill. That's high praise. I also heard that you can really customize your burgers here and figured it would be a great place for my dad and I to visit together. 
Splitz is a very casual establishment serving big, fresh, fast, make-it-how-you-want-it burgers. Aside from burgers, they also serve hot dogs, wraps, poutine, ice cream, and milkshakes.


Upon entering, you walk up to the counter and order, then move down the counter to pick out the condiments and sauces you want as they assemble your burger. As one guy is placing your condiments on the bun, another guy is grilling the meat to be placed on it. Everything is made to order, as well as the fries if you order any. They have a variety different meat options (including Grilled Chicken, Bison, Buffalo, Turkey, Salmon, Lamb, Italian Sausage) and a Vegetarian option (Spicy Lentil). Additions like Cheese (choose between half aged cheddar and swiss cheese), Grilled Pancetta Bacon, Sauteed Mushroom, and Sauteed Onions can be added to any burger for an extra $1.25. 


I loved the veggie and condiment bar. There was a huge variety of both to really build your burger exactly the way you want it. You can add as many of these toppings on your burger as you want and they'll put as much or as little on as you request. They sauce and garnish the bun in front of you so you can customize the burger and then you find a seat and wait for a few minute while they cook your burger. 




My dad got a 1/3 lb Lengendary Splitz Burger with Bacon and Cheddar. He added lettuce and alfalfa sprouts and a heaping mound of dill pickle slices. He really enjoyed his burger- thought the meat and bacon were perfectly cooked and admired the sturdy bun. 






I ordered a Spicy Lentil Burger with Sauteed Mushrooms, topped with babaganoush, lettuce, tomato, dill pickle, hot sauce, alfalfa sprouts and cucumber. The only burger commonalities between my dad and I were letttuce, alfalfa sprouts, and pickles. 




It was a massive, behemoth, beauty of a burger. Bright, colourful and oozing out of the sides with fresh veggies and sauces. The patty was hearty, only slightly spicy ( i was glad that I added hot sauce) with a nice creamy meets crispy texture. The toasted bun they use works well- it is dense enough (but not too dense) to stay in tact and doesn't fall apart and the texture and flavour are mild to let the burger fillings shine. I really wish they had sliced black olives in their veggie topping selection (like Subway does)- they wouldn't give my burger the perfect salty, mediterranean kick.




We split an order of large yam fries. I was a bit disappointed by these- although they are clearly made fresh, unfortunately they weren't light and crispy. In fact, I found them to be too oily and greasy with a limp texture.


This place is a great place to grab a very casual bite to eat. It draws a mixed dining crowd of hipsters, sporties, and families. It's not a fancy place- Decor is pretty bare bones and sports are playing on a couple of large flat screens. The staff are very friendly and helpful and will definitely joke around with you. We both enjoyed our burgers a lot and liked the whole customiz-ation process. A great Dad-Daughter Dinner Experience!

Splitz Grill on Urbanspoon



No comments: