Thursday, August 9, 2012

Guest Blog: Getting Perog-ied


Friday Night Supper
Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
154 East 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC



My fantastic friends Mel and Kaitlyn invited me to join them for a Perogy feast at the Ukrainian Church on 10th last Friday. I was on the road at the time, heading out of town for the long weekend, but I've always wanted to check out one of these dinners so I asked Mel to take some photos and give me her thoughts on the food and experience. She is an awesome guest blogger! 


On the first Friday of every month, the Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral hosts a "Friday Night Supper." I've heard good things about the experience- tasty homemade grub, cheap prices, sometimes big crowds and line-ups, and fun characters. It was great to have Mel go and tell me if was worth all of the hype.

Exterior of the building

This is the menu order form- check off what you want
Mel ordered the Vegetarian Meal: 6 Pyroghy, 3 Cabbage Rolls, Sauerkraut/Salad, Coffee/Tea $12


The cabbage rolls were bland but the portions were huge. We didn't finish.
The handmade perogies were the best part. They don't make them the day of. The make them either two weeks before or two days before and then freeze them depending on how busy they think it will be.


I also got dessert. Pretty unimpressive, looked like it was from Costco.

Overall our experience at the Ukrainian church kinda sucked. Kaitlin said it was a little disappointing, although tasty it was bland. When you enter you get to choose where you sit at these round tables. It was a little tough for us to decide, it was like picking your new friends. The table we sat at was with an awkward couple that weren't very talkative and were sadly just as disappointed with the food as we were. Overall I give the experience a 6/10.

No comments: