Saturday, January 15, 2011

Ashley's Birthday at Les Faux Bourgeois

It was one of my best pal Ashley’s birthday, so I decided to take her out for a special birthday date. I’ve only been to LFB once, but my experience was soo awesome, it’s now one of my favourite “special-occasion” restaurants in Vancouver. Ashley  had never been and wanted to try it, so we were already off to a good start.
Note: LFB is awesome in dealing with reservations and they call you to confirm and are great about accommodating changes.
We arrived and were seated at a table for two near the window. It was a bit chilly, but they had put out a small space heater which made our seating nook nice and cozy. After gabbing for about half and hour, and having our lovely, polite, (and adorable) server check on us approximately three times, we settled into ordering. I had checked out the menu online, and I was in a seafood mood, so I ordered Le Cabillaud ($17): Ling Cod, mushrooms, savoy cabbage, cod croquettes and manila clam pan jus. Ashley wasn’t sure what to order. Based on everything I’ve heard/read, you really can’t lose with either the mussels and fries or steak and fries. She had narrowed it down to either the salmon dish or the mussels and asked our server for his recommendation. Without skipping a beat, he suggested the mussels and fries.
 After our orders were placed, we were brought a basket of their delicious bread with butter and garlic aioli (sooo tasty- save some for fry dip!).
Our mains were brought out shortly after (approx 15 min) and they looked and smelled absolutely divine (but honestly, the same could be said for every dish we saw delivered to the hungry customers all evening). My dish was really tasty- the stand outs were the variety of sautéed mushrooms, the crispy cod croquettes, and the savoury cabbage. It was an impressive plate that I ordered because of all the delicious-sounding elements. BUT, I can honestly say that I was out-ordered that evening by the birthday girl.
Those Moules Mariniere ($16): Mussels in white wine, garlic and parsley, with pomme frites, are simple and outstanding. The dish is so simple and so flavourful. That mussel sauce creates a garlicy, buttery bowl of bliss. You almost have to refrain from diving head-first into that bowl. Thanks for sharing Ash!
Another awesome experience at Les Faux Bourgeois. Great food, reasonable prices, and awesome service.
Les Faux Bourgeois

(604) 873-9733
663 E 15th Ave
Vancouver, BC V5T2R6

No comments: